Red Lentil Dahl
2 cups dry organic red split lentils
1 teaspoon organic virgin coconut oil
1 medium white onion
1 medium carrot
2 garlic cloves
½ Tablespoon fresh ginger root
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon masala garam
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 Teaspoon crushed chillies (optional)
2 Tablespoons vegetable stock
2 cups boiling water
1 Tablespoon organic coconut sugar
flaky sea salt and black pepper to taste
2 cups organic basmati rice
3 cups filtered water
Yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
Fresh chopped parsley
- Wash lentils with cold water until water runs clear. Pop the washed lentils into a bowl and cover with cold water, set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly rinse rice and add to a medium pot with water. Cook covered, bringing to a gentle boil, then reduce heat until all water has absorbed.
- Finley dice the onion and carrot and grate the ginger and garlic.
- Heat coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger, spices, and carrot. fry off until onion becomes translucent, and spices are fragrant.
- Dissolve vegetable stock and coconut sugar in 2 cups boiling water, add to the pan with drained red lentils. Gently simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, and mixture has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.