Savoury Vegan Chive & Seed Scones
Our creative genius Lena has created these delicious vegan scones. Finally a scone that everyone can enjoy. Perfect for afternoon tea with a cup of coffee or to have alongside a warming bowl of soup.
Dietary: Vegetarian / Vegan
Makes: 8 triangle scones | Total time: 25 minutes
4 cups organic white spelt flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup nutritional yeast flakes
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ Tablespoon flaky sea slat
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons dried chives
2 Tablespoons organic pumpkin seeds
1 Tablespoon organic sunflower seeds
1 Tablespoon organic white sesame seeds
1 cup organic virgin coconut oil, chilled
1 ½ cup plant mylk, chilled
- Preheat oven to 230° C and line a baking tray with parchment baking sheets.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients except coconut oil and plant mylk.
- Add coconut oil a little at a time and rub into flour mix with fingertips until a crumbly consistency is reached.
- Slowly pour in chilled mylk and mix with a wooden spoon. Take care not to over mix.
- Turn onto a floured surface and shape into a round, roughly 2cm thick. Using a large knife cut into eight triangles. Place on to the prepared baking tray, brush with a little extra mylk and top with a few extra seeds. Bake for 12-16 minutes until golden and crispy on top.
- Serve warm with vegan butter or your favourite chutneys.
- Store in an airtight container for two days or freeze.
Recipe, styling, photography by Lena Fischer