Nut & Lentil Vegetarian 'meatloaf'
The perfect vegetarian addition to any festive feast. Savoury, satisfying and so delicious, this nut roast is packed with a scrumptious blend nuts, veggies, lentils, cranberries and herbs and spices.
Makes: 8 servings | Total time: 1 hour
100g Split Red Lentils
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Stock
1 large carrot
1 large white onion
2 garlic cloves
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
300g Natural Mixed Nuts
½ teaspoon Paprika
½ teaspoon Thyme
½ teaspoon Sage
½ teaspoon Oregano
½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
50 g Cranberries
- Thoroughly wash the lentils, then add to a pot with water and chicken stock, bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat, cover and simmer until very tender. Once cooked strain and set aside.
- Meanwhile put the carrot, onion and garlic to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add to a hot pan with one tablespoon olive oil and sauté until tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, add the nuts to the food processor and pulse until a medium crumbly consistency is reached, ensuring there is still some texture.
- Add the nuts into the pan with the veggies, herbs and spices. Season with a large pinch of salt and a good grind of pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as required. Cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes then add cranberries and remove from heat.
- Add cooked lentils to the food processor and blend into a thick paste.
- In a large bowl combine veggies with the lentil paste, whisked eggs and olive oil. mix well to combine.
- Firmly press the mixture into the lined loaf tin. Pop into the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes until the top is golden.
- Once cooked, gently lift roast out of loaf tin and let cool on a wire rack for a couple of minutes before serving. Using a serrated knife cut into thick slices. Serve with roasted vegetables, fresh salads and your favourite gravy.
Recipe, styling, photography by Lena Fischer