Tacos are a great way to meet the dietary needs (and wants) of many different people, are affordable to make and you can even whip up the filling in advance and keep in a fridge or freezer.
Serve with your favourite Apostle Hot Sauces, and you're ready to go.
For the taco shells:
For the refried beans:
- 1 can of refried beans, optional - remove from the can and warm in a oven-proof dish or bowl
For the filling:
- 1 cup Textured Soy Protein
- 1 cup vegetable stock or beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of refried beans (optional - remove from can and warmed in an oven-proof dish or bowl)
- Shredded Lettuce or red cabbage
- Chopped fresh coriander
Prepare the taco shells
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the masa flour and a pinch of salt.
- Gradually add warm water and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth and pliable.
- Divide the dough into small balls (about golf ball size).
- Flatten each ball between two pieces of parchment paper or plastic wrap to form a thin, round tortilla shape. Chefs note, using a Tortilla Press makes this part much more uniformed and easy, not to mention feels like such a fun way to make professional looking homemade taco shells.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Cook each tortilla for about 1-2 minutes on each side until slightly browned and cooked through. Keep warm in a clean kitchen towel.
Prepare the TVP filling
- In a bowl, combine the TVP, vegetable broth or water, soy sauce, ground cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.
- Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until the TVP absorbs the liquid and becomes soft.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add the TVP mixture.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the TVP is heated through and slightly browned.
Assemble the tacos
- Take a prepared taco shell and spoon in some refried beans and TVP filling.
- Top with your fave additional toppings.