Refill Nation’s Pretty in Pink, Beetroot Pasta – Serves 5
Pink! Goes with everything!
If you're looking to add a little pink to your plate, we have the recipe for you. It's bright, it's fun, its nutritious, what more could we want?
Beetroot, which gives this show stopper it's bright hue, is packed with nutrients, including fibre, betalains (a potent antioxidant), and vitamins C, B6, and folate. Made creamy with butter beans and cashews, which provide protein and healthy fats.
Together, this trio of ingredients creates a super nutritious meal & most importantly tastes delicious!
400g Farfalle Pasta (any pasta works here, we just leaned into the pink bow aesthetic)
2-3 small-medium beetroot
1 can of butter beans (drained and rinsed)
1 bulb of garlic
1/2 cup of soaked cashews (soak the cashews for a few hours in water and then drain)
generous drizzle of olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: Roasted Beets - Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
1. Wash the beets, remove the tops, and dice them into approximately 1-inch cubes & place in a roasting dish.
2. Separate the cloves from the garlic bulb and add them, still unpeeled, to the roasting dish.
3. Toss the beets and garlic cloves with olive oil, salt, and pepper until coated.
4. Roast in the oven until caramelized, which should take around 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 2: Cooking the Pasta – Start when Beets have about 15 mins to go.
1. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil and add a generous amount of salt.
2. Add the farfalle pasta to the pot & cook the pasta for 10-12 minutes or until it is al dente.
3. Turn off the heat and reserve ¼ cup of the pasta water.
4. Drain the pasta using a colander, then return it to the pot.
5. Drizzle the pasta with olive oil to prevent sticking.
Step 3: Creamy Beet Sauce
1. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into a food processor.
2. Add the roasted beets, butter beans, soaked cashews, and lemon juice to the food processor. Blend the ingredients until the mixture becomes creamy, gradually adding some of the reserved pasta water until you achieve your desired consistency.
Step 4: Final Assembly
1. Mix the creamy sauce into the cooked pasta. Season to your taste.
2. Serve the pasta, and if you like, you can elevate it by adding crumbled feta and/or toasted pine nuts for an extra touch of flavor and texture.