Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe
This dish is creamy, flavorful, and perfect for a cozy dinner. It's a wonderful vegan alternative to traditional creamy pasta dishes, and the nutritional yeast adds a cheesy depth of flavor.
2 cups of penne pasta (use gluten-free if necessary)
2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours or overnight
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the Cashews: Before you begin, soak the raw cashews in enough water to cover them for at least 4 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse the cashews before using.
Cook the Pasta:
2. Cook the penne pasta in salted boiling water on a low simmer for 10-12 mins or until al dente.
3.Sauté the Onions and Mushrooms: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they become translucent.
Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes until they have softened and released their moisture. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
4. Prepare the Creamy Sauce: In a high-speed blender, combine the soaked and drained cashews, minced garlic, nutritional yeast flakes, dried basil, and vegetable stock. Blend until you have a smooth, creamy sauce. Adjust the consistency by adding more or less vegetable broth as needed.
5. Combine the Ingredients: Pour the creamy sauce over the sautéed mushrooms and onions. Stir well to combine and let it simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
6. Toss the Pasta: Add the cooked penne pasta to the skillet with the creamy mushroom sauce. Toss everything together, making sure the pasta is well-coated with the sauce.
7.Serve: Transfer the creamy mushroom penne to serving plates. Garnish with fresh parsley or toasted pine nuts if desired.