We love our exceptionally nutrient dense superfoods at Refill Nation, and one of our very faves, is spirulina! Spirulina is a blue-green algae that has been consumed for centuries due to its impressive nutritional content and potential health advantages.
Spirulina a microscopic, spiral shaped, blue-green algae that thrives in alkaline lakes and ponds. It has been used by various cultures for centuries! This ancient superfood is renowned for its exceptional nutrient profile boasting high concentrations of protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Health benefits of spirulina include;
- High nutritional value. Significant amounts of protein, iron, B-vitamins, copper and essential amino acids. It is an excellent option for vegetarians and vegans.
- Antioxidant properties. Rich is antioxidants like phycocyanin and beta-carotene, spirulina helps neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, supporting overall health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
- Immune system support. Spirulina may enhance the immune system's function, thanks to its immune-boosting properties. Regular consumption may help the body defend against infections and illnesses.
- Anti-inflammatory. Studies suggest the spirulina's active compounds may reduce inflammation, potentially aiding individuals with conditions like arthritis and allergies.
- Detoxification. Spirulina can aid in the detoxification process by promoting the elimination of heavy metals and other toxins from the body.
How to use spirulina (recipe ideas);
Spirulina Smoothie Bowl;
Blend together frozen bananas, spinach, pineapple, almond milk and a teaspoon of spirulina powder. Top the smoothie bowl with fresh fruits, granola, and a drizzle of honey for added sweetness.
Spirulina Energy Bars;
Combine dates, almonds, shredded coconut, chia seeds and spirulina powder in a food processor. Form the mixture into small energy bites and refrigerate for a quick, nutritious snack,
Spirulina avocado toast;
Mash ripe avocado with lemon juice, salt, and a pinch of spirulina powder. Spread the mixture on whole-grain toast and garnish with cherry tomatoes and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Spirulina pesto pasta;
Blend fresh basil, pine nuts, olive oil, and a teaspoon of spirulina powder to create a vibrant and nutritious pesto sauce. Toss the pesto with you fave pasta for an easy and yummy meal.