Usemup Orzo Salad
We love a good throw together meal that uses what you already have in the fridge. Which is why we've named this one, the 'use'emup' salad, as it uses what you already have, helping you to reduce food waste, and save money!
This salad can be seasonal, using zucchini, fennel and cherry tomatoes in the summer, and pumpkin, parsnips and carrots in the winter. Using the same basic foundations, it can turn out different depending on what's in your fridge.
Try adding sun-dried tomatoes, olives or capers, or some fresh beans in lieu of cucumber. We like to play around with different nuts too, pinenuts, toasted cashews, and pecans all make great alternatives to the walnuts we've used here.
To make this gluten free is just as simple, use any of your favourite gluten free grain in place of the orzo. Try quinoa, or millet.
Makes 5 servings, so is perfect for a pot luck, or a weeks worth of prepped lunches.
Have fun with this recipe, substitute as you like, and you can't go wrong!
- Any veggies you have at home: I used carrot, capsicum & broccoli
- 400g Chickpeas
- 1 heaped teaspoon of each smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander and flaky sea salt
- 250g Orzo (dried weight, but cook this prior to making).
Add some crunch:
- 1 diced Cucumber
- 1/2 cup any nuts you have on hand (we've used walnuts)
- 1/3 cup Organic Unhulled Tahini (available in store)
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Tbsp Banus Chilli Oil (optional)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 Tbsp water
- Season vegetables with a drizzle of olive oil, followed by the spice mix and roast for 20 minutes.
- Mix all dressing ingredients into a jar, and shake to combine.
- Place orzo, roasted vegetables, your "crunch" of choice and dressing in a large bowl and mix.