Polenta, Lime & Blueberry Cakes
Makes 12 | GF
70g pistachios (shelled)
¾ cup instant polenta
⅓ cup rice flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
250g butter, very soft but not melted
1 cup caster sugar
finely grated zest 2 large limes
4 large eggs, size 7
juice 1 lime
1-1½ cups frozen blueberries
1½ cups icing sugar, sifted
3-4 teaspoons lime juice
2 tablespoons pistachios, finely chopped
freeze-dried, sliced blueberries, optional
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan bake.
- Generously grease 12 friand tins or small cake tins and line the bases with a circle of baking paper (my tins are 100ml capacity each).
- Put the pistachio nuts and ¼ cup of the polenta in a food processor and blend until finely chopped but not to a powder. Tip into a bowl and combine with the remaining polenta, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat the butter, sugar and lime zest together until very light and pale. Whisk the eggs together in a jug then gradually beat into the butter mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients and the lime juice and gently beat to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the tins and smooth the tops. Place 5-6 frozen blueberries on each cake, but don’t press them into the mixture.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until the tops are golden and the cakes are firm.
- Leave to cool in the tins for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the inside of the tins to loosen then remove and place on a cooling rack.